The David Marsden Award
The award was introduced by Dystonia Europe in 2003 and is presented every two years to stimulate research on dystonia, especially by young scientists in Europe. Professor David Marsden (1938 – 1998) was one of the leading neurologists in Europe and DE wishes to honour the enormous part he played in developing knowledge of and interest in dystonia.
The David Marsden Award 2015 was awarded to Dr. Cathérine C.S. Delnooz for her paper on: Task-free functional MRI in cervical dystonia reveals multi-network changes that partially normalize with botulinum toxin. The research was performed at the Radboudumc, Nijmegen, during Dr. Delnooz’s neurology training. Currently she is a fellow at the movement disorders section, University Medical Centre in Groningen, The Netherlands.
- The David Marsden Award is presented every two years.
- The Award sum is € 10,000 for papers (i.e. manuscripts for original publication – no abstracts) on aetiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis or therapies in dystonia or on the psycho-‐social effects.
- Applicants should be under 40 years of age.
- Submitted papers may have been published within the last two years.
- Unsuccessful applicants may re-‐present their papers in the following year, if fundamental new scientific findings are involved.
- The applicant should be the first author.
- The research must have taken place within Geographical Europe.
- Papers should be submitted by email to the DE Secretariat with a short Curriculum Vitae and a declaration that the paper has not been submitted for any other scientific awards.
- The deadline for submissions is 31 January 2017.
- The evaluation of papers will be carried out by the Dystonia Europe Medical and Scientific Advisory Board and a recommendation made to the DE Managing Board.
- The winner will be invited to make a presentation at the DE annual conference 2017.
Apply by downloading and filling out this form – David Marsden Award Submission Form2017
- David Marsden Award 2013 was awarded to Dr. Katja Lohmann
- David Marsden Award 2011 was awarded to Dr David Bradley
- David Marsden Award 2009 was awarded to Dr. Ana Djarmati and Dr. Susanne A. Schneider
- David Marsden Award 2007 was awarded to Dr. Mirta Fiorio
- David Marsden Award 2005 was awarded to Dr. Victor Candia
- David Marsden Award 2003 was awarded to Dr. Mark Edwards